Advice and tips on caring for your dentures
- Only your dental professional is qualified to diagnose your oral health and adjust your denture or partial.
- Dentures and partials should be brushed inside and outside daily with a soft, large nylon denture tooth brush with round-ended bristles.
- Use denture creams instead of toothpastes, which are too abrasive and will scratch your denture. Rinse with cold water.
- Dentures and partials will warp if placed in hot water.
- Inspect your prosthesis regularly for worn teeth.
- Dentures can function poorly and cause sores if teeth are worn down.
- Discuss all your current medications with your doctor and dental professional.
- Be sure to visit your dental professional regularly.
- Have loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction and put pressure on the gum tissues and bones.
- When not in use, cover dentures with clean water or a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out.
- Most dental insurance policies provide coverage for new dentures every 5-10 years.